Since last I posted, my gardening focus has been on seeds, seedlings and the all important soil preparation. Actually, it goes back a bit farther….
I told you last month how we hard pruned our rubber tree, exposing a large bare area around it? Initially, I wasn’t impressed, assuming the reclaimed space would be riddled with huge, barely hidden roots…well……you know what they say about people who “assume,” yeah?
When I commenced the soil preparation, I was shocked! The huge roots I’d been expecting had all gravitated to one side, leaving a sizable area nearly root-free! And better still, the soil looked and smelled “loamy.” (If you live in Florida, you know what I mean: good soil here has a VERY distinct scent!)
My oldest son and I had already encircled the area with pavers, so for the past week I’ve been busy amending the soil within. My initial plans of creating a disposable “annual” area have changed to this:
I say, “Take 2” because our previous effort last spring was an enormous bust! I believe I started the seeds too late (March) and by June we watched the vines and tiny fruits wither away before our eyes!!! It just gets too dang hot here in summer!
With this in mind, I decided to sow some flower seeds, too. It took 4 days for these Clarkia (garland flowers) to germinate:
and 6 days to see some sprouts from this Burpee Fordhook Mix of chartreuse and purple annuals.
I also direct sowed Molucella Laevis (Belles of Ireland) and Larkspur into my perimeter beds…Pictures to follow when they sprout!
As seems to be the case in my garden, I have many surprises growing…some I can’t quite figure out, like this:
And these “squatters” who found their way to long forgotten pots of old soil:
This last unknown plant (below) may be a Celosia. Although I’ve never owned or grown any, they’re very popular here, so seeds may have blown in from elsewhere:
As you can see from the closeup, blooms will be opening soon:
Until next time………