While walking down the steps at Jaycee Beach today, I noticed something purple off to my left:
Native to Florida and other states along the Gulf Coast, Bay Bean is important to the ecosystem, acting as a sand stabilizer at Jaycee which suffers significantly from erosion each year.
The sturdy, salt air/drought tolerant Canavalia Rosea grows up to 20ft long. As the next picture shows, the lower stem is woody with several branches radiating outward. They sometimes over-lap, forming dense mats of semi-succulent green foliage:
Compared to other members of the legume family, Bay Bean’s 2″ blooms are upside-down, forming a neat landing pad with white center to attract bees and other pollinators:
Although not widely used in horticulture or home landscapes, Canavalia Rosea is a great choice for xeric gardens and/or ground cover in Zones 9-11. It grows rapidly, flowers year round, and seems to be a pioneer in the rehabilitation of eroded soils.
And with that, I’ll end my 100th post!!! I’ve enjoyed every minute of the WordPress experience.
The hugest of huge “thank yous” to anyone who’s ever read this blog!
Until next time!
ps: TC is on a plane as I’m typing this! We’ll be picking him up in a few short hours! Fun!!
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (Photos) (mentalhealthed.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (theinspiredpacker.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: PURPLE (picturesinlivingcolor.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: purple (desireeeast.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Purple (mandyink.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge (Favorite Purple Photo) (natureswalkphotography.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Purple (bullettrainofthought.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (photecstasy.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple! (mytropicalhome.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (mikehardisty.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (hereandthere5.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple and Pretty (youthinkyoucanblog.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (rutheh.com)