While walking down the steps at Jaycee Beach today, I noticed something purple off to my left:
Native to Florida and other states along the Gulf Coast, Bay Bean is important to the ecosystem, acting as a sand stabilizer at Jaycee which suffers significantly from erosion each year.
The sturdy, salt air/drought tolerant Canavalia Rosea grows up to 20ft long. As the next picture shows, the lower stem is woody with several branches radiating outward. They sometimes over-lap, forming dense mats of semi-succulent green foliage:
Compared to other members of the legume family, Bay Bean’s 2″ blooms are upside-down, forming a neat landing pad with white center to attract bees and other pollinators:
Although not widely used in horticulture or home landscapes, Canavalia Rosea is a great choice for xeric gardens and/or ground cover in Zones 9-11. It grows rapidly, flowers year round, and seems to be a pioneer in the rehabilitation of eroded soils.
And with that, I’ll end my 100th post!!! I’ve enjoyed every minute of the WordPress experience. :)
The hugest of huge “thank yous” to anyone who’s ever read this blog!
Until next time!
ps: TC is on a plane as I’m typing this! We’ll be picking him up in a few short hours! Fun!!
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (Photos) (mentalhealthed.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (theinspiredpacker.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: PURPLE (picturesinlivingcolor.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: purple (desireeeast.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Purple (mandyink.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge (Favorite Purple Photo) (natureswalkphotography.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Purple (bullettrainofthought.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (photecstasy.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple! (mytropicalhome.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (mikehardisty.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (hereandthere5.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple and Pretty (youthinkyoucanblog.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Purple (rutheh.com)